I was thinking along similar lines as well as an option, instead of the
checksum token method, I was going to write the record to a holding file
with an ID that was a combination of file/record/transaction token

And do a comparison using the saved item to see if record changed, but
only if the record lock had expired - I still wanted to keep the locks
since the system could be used by local users as well, which is easier
using the READU locally to test for locking.