1. Do you mean U2DevZone? You should see an article on that next week in
the
U2 News Flash--you are subscribed, right? If not, go to:
http://goo.gl/G1uem
**

I mean products like DataVu, Web DE and VisualStudio add ins.  At least
offer scaled down solutions for public use (like the watered down
version of Reporting Services Microsoft gives away with SS Express 08
r2).  These are the products that attract users 'cause let's face it,
not many people get excited about dictionaries now-a-days.

Anything related to connectivity shouldn't be sold separately, to me in
this day and age,  connectivity is one of the defining factors in what
makes a database.

2. Please email us at u2as...@rs.com with more info on what you are
thinking of. We are doing some work in this area. Or you can post here.
What would you do with it?

**
I have a number of small applications that are currently using a SS 2008
express r2 database and probably could for the next 15 years and not run
into the limits imposed by the express version.  I would wager there is
a lot of applications out there like this.    Wouldn't it be beneficial
to have a watered down version available that a least give people the
option of using U2?  I would think that having people on a free version
of U2 would be of more benefit to you then  people using SQL server
express, postgresql, etc.

3. And replace it with what? We are open to suggestions and actively
looking at other models but more "in addition to" rather than "instead
of"

There has to be a reasonable middle ground and some options.  We
purchased UniVerse in 95 so I'm not sure where the prices are currently,
but there are like 8 different versions of SQL server --  All of varying
costs and limitations.  Having the per proc and CAL (which are more
flexible then seats) options helps as well.  I can buy a single proc web
only license for like $4k.  I can serve A LOT of requests with a single
proc web only database license.

http://goo.gl/G1uem 2. Please email us at u2as...@rs.com with more info
on what you are thinking of. We are doing some work in this area. Or you
can post here. What would you do with it?
3. And replace it with what? We are open to suggestions and actively
looking at other models but more "in addition to" rather than "instead
of"
4. An interesting idea. I'll take it back to the team to discuss. A
pretty big change for us though.

Jackie Burhans
Rocket U2