David, what you're touching on here is one of the fundamental
differences between MV and relational: We use BASIC within the
engine to manage Referential Integrity (RI) and provide business
rules.  Simultaneously, our RI is contained in the business
rules, not at the DBMS level.  They use other languages outside
the engine for rules, and they rely on the DBMS to maintain RI.

As much as I'd like to climb on the pro-MV bandwagon on the
preferred methodology, I have to say that neither is right or
wrong, better or worse, they're just different methodologies,
equally qualified, equally falable.

The problem with MV is that we have not adapted to that other
common methodology.  Language bindings into the MV environment
need to come through a rather cludgy socket interface or other
mechanisms, where interfaces to other environments are
"seemingly" much more direct and elegant.  When we can advertise
that the rules can comfortably sit at any tier, then we will have
something to brag about.  We're almost there.  Right now, I am
comfortable with the practice of putting minimal validation
outside of the environment, but (despite the ability to have all
rules outside the environment) I choose to keep all real rules in
BASIC on the server.  It seems many people in this community
still think it needs to be entirely one way or the other.  This
seems to be a new mantra of mine here, but the problem isn't so
much with the technology, but how people think it should be used.