Snapshotting doesn't get rid of mirroring just the need to break/merge them.
I'd still suggest using mirrors. The risk of disk failure is too great. Guess
you could use some other level of RAID to get there but it's hard to beat
spindles plus mirrors (0+1) for databases.  In fact our snapshot logical
volumes are striped and mirrored as well. The snapshot volume is holding the
writes, you have the same risk of a disk failure there.

On the Linux front, are you talking about Btrfs (aka "Better FS")?    I've read
some good things, but haven't gotten the nerve to play with it yet.