On a relevant note.  I was always told that:

The best way to get an accurate backup on U2 is to:

-Pause the writes
-Do a logical volume snapshot (*nix only)
-Resume the writes
-Let the logical volume snapshot finish copying off to your backup space to
disk.

-On top of that you should still do a regular normal backup (like uvbackup,
or tar, dd, or whatever) overnight, as snapshots were never intended to be a
"Full Backup" solution.

As far as windows is concerned I can't really say, other than, my experience
with Symantec (Vertias) Backup Exec was always a horrible experience.  So
use something else.

StorageCraft, or ComVault, I've heard good things about.  StorageCraft being
the way cheaper option.

--
John Thompson