Actually, the distributed file option is a good one, if you can't go to 64
bits. You create a few files (say, 3), then build the file using DEFINE.DF.

But in terms of recovering this file, not without losing some records, unless
you get very lucky. You can use UV to copy the file, and when you hit the
broken part, try to use fixtool to (first) rebuild the forward and/or backward
link, or (second) truncate the group. One trick that might work is to write a
basic program that sequentially processes the file, writing a record to a new
file, then deleting that record from the original (make a backup first). This
will shrink the file as you go. You'll still have at least one broken
flink/blink somewhere.