Come on, get real.
Do you suggest the "deadly embrace" would be better and he would get his results any quicker?

And anyway, an ER doc not getting his lab results because of a mass update process running as a phantom encountering a locked record? And who would hold a lock on those lab results while they are being transferred?

Come up with a real life problem and I'll give you a real life solution.
Remember, the impossible I do straight away but miracles may take a bit longer!

Mecki