What do you think I am doing day in day out?

I work with Avante 9.2 from Epicor and I definitely didn't write that myself. And this isn't the first system I've worked with in nearly 25 years in the MV world. And to be honest I have barely scratched the surface of Avante since I only look at the code if it requires modification or there is a problem. I don't know how many programmers were involved in writing it but I guess it was a lot more than 16. Some of it looks like it's very old since it uses soft locks and it contains some really weird and whacky code.

And yes, we have occasional locking issues but never "deadly embraces" because the software is written in a way that helps to prevent or solve them. The software generally uses standard subroutines to read and lock records and notifies the user if somebody else holds a lock and who that user is. It could of course be better and display the user name instead of the login ID but most people can figure out whom to ring if they are locked out. Some programs display only the port so they have to ring IT to find out who the user is - but with UniAdmin that is no big deal. Depending what the process does it gives the user the opportunity to try again or abort the process or displays the message until the lock is released should the process be in the middle of a multi file update. Other processes can only to be run by one user at a time and prevent anybody else from starting the process. About once a week I get a call because a lock stops somebody from doing their job and I have to kick the offending party off the system. If they loose their work - tough luck - everybody has been told not to leave a screen in the middle of something and walk away.
I haven't had a complaint yet even when I kicked the MD off.
Releasing the lock is hardly ever the right solution.
That's why we have an IT department and what we get paid for - keeping the system running.

Should I ever encounter problems like the ones you describe I would solve them and not whine about it! And should I struggle to find a solution I would ask the group for advice, take it, try it out and be thankful for it.

"Can't be done" doesn't exist in my vocabulary.

We have shown you a couple of solutions, but of course it is a lot easier to insist on the myth of "deadly embraces", blame the stupid database system and insult your peers.

Mecki