If he tries to ring user B and can't reach him he rings IT and I kick user B out ;-).
Simple as that! Happens about once a week.
I can live with that, but if it would be happening more frequently or with phantoms I would do something about it. In any case if you use READU use the locked clause because only then you have the option to bail out and avoid a deadlock.

On 26/10/2011 01:36, Wjhonson wrote:
It is not possible to know in advance all the locks you may wish to set.
That's the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Stevenson<stevenson.c...@gmail.com>
To: U2 Users List<u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tue, Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] LIST.READU EVERY's "waiters" when there are writes w/o
explicit readu.

While Will's articledoes give a good, clear example of a deadly embrace,
nd remediating faulty code is not trivial, the solution is conceptually
rivial and it is exactly the LOCKED clause that saves us.
If you write new code, deadlocks are easy to prevent.
Testing is non-trivial. It generally requires load or stress testing
here mutiple processes vie for the same locks.
In a nutshell: you shouldn't begin writing ANY part of a logical
ransaction until you own ALL necessary locks.  LOCKED clauses help you
rap cases where you can't get one of those needed locks, allowing you
o release all other related locks, (freeing up everything so the
ompeting process can finish its work), then you try again.   No
eadlocks.  QED.
My problem posed at the start of this thread represents a conceptually
rivial project but it will include retrofitting this anti-deadlock
ogic.  Non-trivial hours.  Opportunity costs.  More consistent data!
All MV platforms support this same solution.
If someone else wants to explain it in further detail for the newbies,
lease, be my guest.
cds