I thought I would chime in here a little... as I've been using Kevin's idea
to create some web applications
(none of which are live, except for a few management reports- not because
I've had problems, but, mainly because priorities keep changing - if you
know how that goes)

At any rate.  I have a management report that pops up on an
Ipad/Iphone/Droid or whatever.
The UV process that gets fired goes in and grabs Sales data for 30 store
locations and spits it back.

Using firebug, I can see how long the php script that calls the UV process
takes.
It does its reads, etc., and then bottles up the data and sends back a
string (1.2 KB in size) in JSON or XML or whatever
in around 800 ms to 1 second consistently.

So I guess thats consistent with what you were saying.  Just thought I
would add to the info.

However, I did notice that UV on AIX is limited to 256MB of RAM per session.
So I wonder if Linux would behave differently?

Ironically, I'm in the process of setting up a UV Linux machine for our
production system, because AIX 5 support is ending soon.  So I guess I'll
find out soon enough.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Symeon Breen <syme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Similarly here - I have two web services that my apps connect to - one is
> pooled, the other not. Typical time for a transaction using the pooled one
> is between 300 and 600 ms, whereas the non pooled for the same transaction
> is between 1 and 2.
>
> I have 2 because my apps connect to the pooled web service with a 2 second
> timeout, then fail over to the non pooled. I have to do this cos the pooled
> connections hang several times a day (hence why I have to restart unirpcd
> and kill off the pooled udt processes) The problem is not in the DB code as
> it happens randomly and with our logging it is definitely coming out of the
> DB code and then refuses to accept any more data on the socket, and the
> .net
> code is very simple, so it must be in the uniobjects layer or unirpcd. I
> have tried several dll's to no avail, so we will have to get a new linux
> box
> with the very latest udt and see how that goes.   Long sigh .....

John Thompson