This thread reminded me of a blog posting I ran across a while ago. His
basic premise is that most of our assumptions about names are incorrect,
which makes coding a computer to handle them properly is really tough if
not impossible. Don't skip the comments section, there's some good stuff
there.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names

U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.