Its strange to me that Universe does not have this feature built in to the
INPUT statement...

Something like:

INPUT user_input TIMEOUT 30

Maybe I have missed something in the UV docs, but, I never could find
anything built in.  If I remember correctly other flavors of MV have had
this for a while.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM, <mhilb...@ppcsoftware.com> wrote:

> Check INPUTIF, this will return a value if the input buffer has something.
> If after 2 minutes of checking INPUTIF you have nothing it's because the
> user isn't active. If you do a LOOP with INPUTIF inside be careful to put
> an RQM or something similar in the loop.
>

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Don Robinson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We are running Universe 10.1 on AIX with about 500 users. We have a
>> problem with users opening up a record which puts a lock on it and
>> just letting it sit at the INPUT statement for a long time.
>>
>> Most of the locking within the application does not use the LOCKED
>> clause so when a second person needs the locked record, their session
>> waits.
>>
>> What is the best way to detect the user hasn't typed anything for a
>> period of time, say 2 minutes? This needs to be simple as we have no
>> desire to rewrite the application!
>>
>> IIRC, some other MV systems have a timeout on the INPUT but I can't
>> find anything about this in the UV manual.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Don Robinson

John Thompson