From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Robert Porter
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:27 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] u2ug.net Website

This may be more about name resolution than you ever wanted to know, but
here goes anyway...  (knowledge is always a good thing). Sorry for the long
post, domain name resolution is often misunderstood (kind of like people
referring to somename.com as a "top level domain" or TLD - it's not, it's a
2nd level domain. The TLD is "com".)

The SOA nameservers in question are controlled by angelichost.net not
Network Solutions (unless NS has some connection to Angelic I'm unaware of
which is entirely possible).  The only authoritative nameservers for the
domain are ns9 and ns10 on angelichost.net's network. Anything else would
have to be caching.

Name resolution is hierarchical and works from right to left... ORG,
U2UG.ORG, etc... The reason it works from anywhere is when you type it in
locally, it will go to the one of the 13 root nameservers, aka (letter
a-m).root-servers.net, (run by Verisign/Network Solutions and MANY others
including NASA, DOD, Cogent, etc.) if not in cache based on the TLD in this
case .ORG, it will then ask for the nameservers for the next level (U2UG.ORG
in this case). In this case it will get ns9/ns10.angelichost.net. Root
nameservers do not contain the zone records for the hosts themselves only
the nameservers that are authoritative. It could keep going based on the
break up of the domains.

You can see this in action if you like... Here's part of the query for
www.u2ug.org to a.root-servers.net:
Default server: a.root-servers.net
Address: 2001:503:ba3e::2:30#53
> set q=any
> www.u2ug.org
Server:         a.root-servers.net
Address:        198.41.0.4#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find www.u2ug.org: No answer

org     nameserver = a0.org.afilias-nst.info.
org     nameserver = b0.org.afilias-nst.org.
(clipped)

Note how it says it cannot answer authoritatively, and points to the next
level...
Next I set the server to the 1st in the list from the root server Default
server: a0.org.afilias-nst.info
Address: 2001:500:e::1#53
> www.u2ug.org
Server:         a0.org.afilias-nst.info
Address:        199.19.56.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find www.u2ug.org: No answer
> set q=any
> www.u2ug.org
Server:         a0.org.afilias-nst.info
Address:        199.19.56.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find www.u2ug.org: No answer

u2ug.org        nameserver = ns9.angelichost.net.
u2ug.org        nameserver = ns10.angelichost.net.

Notice that the 1st time I messed up and hadn't set a q=any yet (query
any/all information) and it refused to give me any answer at all. After I
get the q=any, it simply pointed me up the change (or down if you like) to
the angelichost.net servers... From there I can get the host.

> server ns9.angelichost.net
Default server: ns9.angelichost.net
Address: 216.240.154.246#53
> set q=any
> www.u2ug.org
Server:         ns9.angelichost.net
Address:        216.240.154.246#53

Name:   www.u2ug.org
Address: 216.240.154.254

Those are the only 2 servers that can answer authoritatively.

I've got at least a dozen nameservers under my control... Network Solutions
has access to none of them. If they were to request a propagation of a
domain (aka a zone transfer) it would be denied by the nameserver as it
would not recognize their servers as having rights to do so (nor do they
need it for dns resolution to work). This is a common security measure. I
(or my clients) make DNS zone updates all the time, and N.S. isn't
involved...  The only zone transfers that take place are between the SOA
namservers (those listed as nameservers for the domain) the upper level DNS
servers only get involved when there's a change of nameservers for the
domain not for host level changes.

The other nameservers around the world would not resolve the name except if
it was in cache - meaning a client requested it and the domain's TTL (Time
To Live - most are set to 12 hours, other more volatile domains drop that to
15 minutes... 15 minutes is the shortest most nameservers will honor).  At
the TTL has expired, the name must be re-resolved starting the right to left
process over ORG's namservers -> U2UG.ORG's nameservers -> host resolution.

I have seen reputable companies frown on it without explanation (I've been
actively working with/in the hosting industry for a long time...) It's
unusual enough that it would at least raise questions. Many hosts are
protective of their networks. If something raises a red flag (spam?) they'd
at least look a little harder at it.