Well, that'll affect performance somewhat. If you're splitting on a high
percentage of writes, that's a lot of expensive overhead. You also (unless
someone changed it in the past couple of years) have to lock the header of the
file when you do a split. But at least you're not following overflow chains out
into West Jibip. The disks/file systems you're writing to aren't more than 85%
full? Attaching new disk pages to the dynamic file as it grows can be a
bottleneck in that scenario...