From: Tom Whitmore
Sent: May 1, 2012 5:50 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] READU vs READ

Hi,
The question of READU vs READ when you are doing updates is moot.  If you do
a READ then a WRITE, UniVerse/UniData will perform the record lock.  The
only difference is with READ you are gambling that no one else is updating
the record before you perform your WRITE.

Performance, as others suggested, there are several things to do:
    Tune your files.
    If you are using dynamic files, make sure you have the MINIMUM.MODULUS
set to reduce the shrink and merging
    If the records are "lumpy" redesign them so you have a header file and a
detail file, with detail files being individual records for the associated
values.
    Use LIST.INDEX with the STATISTICS option to see if you have huge index
value, you may need to refine the index.
    Check your hardware, you may have a bottleneck due to slow disk, I/O
pipe.
    Minimize the number of times you go through the associated values.
    Use READU with the "LOCKED" clause, if the record is locked, add logic
to "queue" it up and try the records again once everything else is processed
(WRITEs will hang on a lock if you don't have the "LOCKED" clause, just like
a READU without the "LOCKED" clause.

Good luck!
Tom
RATEX Business Solutions