I don't know the method it uses, but if figures out what changed in the file
and saves just that part.

I have a 300gb partition set for our backups, and it can hold apx 8 months of
20 minute interval diff checks
Granted, that figure would depend on the size of your database files (I'm not
really sure what our base gb
Figure is).

It doesn't really impact noticeably our system processing speed either when it
runs.

It either uses rsynch or a modified version of it to determine the differences
between the mirror and the
Active file - rsynch is pretty fast also.

For unix system, it might already be loaded (Redhat has it preloaded),
otherwise it's pretty simple to
Install, (does require python to be loaded)

Load it up, give it a try

It does not replace backups - but it does make for those oops moments for
restore a file to it's previous
State much faster than pulling tapes, assuming you have the incrementals for
the time period you want.

But to be honest, I've never actually tracked a large file with minor changes
to see how large the
Change files are.

To help save space, the incremental files are stored in a compressed format,
great for UV ASCII data.

George