That's only partially correct.

The capture log file is put into _PH_ in the account that you originally logged
in to. If you change accounts with LOGTO you will need to use the @ACCOUNT
variable to find the original account path.

The capture file name (on my windows system) is Z_nnnuuuu where uuuu is your
pid (@userno). The pid does not appear to be padded, so can be any length. nnn
appears to be the @LEVEL of the program that does the execute with capturing.
So if you have program1 execute program2 which executes program3 with
capturing, you will have a file Z_001uuuu open during program3. If program1
executes program2 with capturing, which executes program3, you will have
Z_000uuuu open during program2 and program3. If you nest more levels and have
more than 1 program execute with capture, then you have 2 capture files.
unidata doesn't allow more than 2 captures at a time.

So to find out if you were capturing, you would have to look in the original
account's _PH_, and either select ids like Z_3npid, or loop and read for n=0 to
@level-1. That could potentially be a lot of overhead on a live system where
there are lots of captures going on. Or maybe not since most programs don't
nest too deeply, and you only need to check for the file when you need to know.

Are you on windows or on something else? If you aren't on windows, you could
maybe open the tty device directly and write to it rather than using crt. I
think that would go to the screen.