I've only got a handful of dynamic files but of course they're huge and
have a big impact on our daily and monthly processing. I'd REALLY like
to understand the tuning mechanisms for these files, specifically
SPLIT/MERGE.

The formulas that I got on previous responses just don't seem to make
sense on one particular file.

So here's a FILE.STAT and ANALYZE.FILE of a file that I believe is in
need of resizing and/or reconfiguring. I believe that if I can get some
input on this file, I'll be able to apply that knowledge to my other
files.

First, I understand quite clearly that the modulo of 235889 is about
half of what it should be, at least for a block size of 4096.

Second, unless I'm doing something wrong, I computed my SPLIT LOAD to be
1, which just doesn't seem right.

I'd like to resize this file this weekend and I know that if I do one
thing incorrectly it could make my performance even worse.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

File name(Dynamic File)               = OH

Number of groups in file (modulo)     = 235889

Dynamic hashing, hash type            = 0

Split/Merge type                      = KEYONLY

Block size                            = 4096

File has 234167 groups in level one overflow.

Number of records                     = 1387389

Total number of bytes                 = 2132217978

Average number of records per group   = 5.9

Standard deviation from average       = 1.6

Average number of bytes per group     = 9039.1

Standard deviation from average       = 9949.2

Average number of bytes in a record   = 1536.9

Average number of bytes in record ID  = 12.4

Standard deviation from average       = 4009.7

Minimum number of bytes in a record   = 659

Maximum number of bytes in a record   = 2205579

Minimum number of fields in a record  = 237

Maximum number of fields in a record  = 414

Average number of fields per record   = 328.3

Standard deviation from average       = 32.0

Dynamic File name                     = OH

Number of groups in file (modulo)     = 235889

Minimum groups of file                = 235889

Hash type = 0, blocksize = 4096

Split load = 10, Merge load = 5

Split/Merge type = KEYONLY

Sincerely,

David Laansma

IT Manager

Hubbard Supply Co.

Direct: 810-342-7143

Office: 810-234-8681

Fax: 810-234-6142

www.hubbardsupply.com <http://www.hubbardsupply.com>

"Delivering Products, Services and Innovative Solutions"