Oh that is interesting ... will have to give that a run!  Thanks Wol!

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:40 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] CSV to Array

On 15/08/12 23:24, David Wolverton wrote:
> I've done this in the past by doing this:
>
> SWAP DQUOTE WITH @AM
>
> Now, in theory, every EVEN attribute is a 'quoted' string - don't
> touch the commas....
> Every ODD attribute is a 'non-quoted' string...
>
> Double check me here in case I've lost it... but this should work ...
> seems this would be faster as well on larger records.  Only thing
> you'd have to test for -- if the first character is a doublequote, we
> will have a blank first attribute and should not -- but that could be
> tested in the END ELSE section (IF XXX = 1 THEN IF DATASTRING[1,1] = 1
> THEN CONTINUE)

Given that you're parsing on a delimiter, actually the best tool here is
probably MATPARSE! You need two dimensions, however.

Something like

DIM ARRAY(100,2)

MATPARSE STRING USING ',"'

Until I actually played with it, I didn't realise it put text into column 1,
and delimiters into column 2. Which makes it easy to ding through. If say
you have a comma followed by two double quotes, it will put the comma in
column 2, a blank in column 1, and then both double quotes in the next
element in column 2. I was actually parsing a maths statement, but it was so
easy ...

Cheers,
Wol