Hi,

>  There's some wacky stuff it's doing with memory in that ED program, I can't
> figure out what they are trying to do....
> Of course it was originally written in 1992 as a port of the PI/Open Editor

I remember this being implemented from my days in PI/open development. It was
all about performance when editing very large items.

If the data was stored as a single dynamic array, processing is easy but
becomes painfully slow with massive records. I recall
comparing ED with another editor that did not break the data up in this way.
When the data was over 100,000 lines long (I cannot
remember what this huge item was), the performance difference was huge.

Although processors are now a lot faster than when this was written over 20
years ago, the gains are still worth having.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB, England
+44 (0)1604-709200