hi,

These method is very usefull when you build software like a "lego", some pieces
are polymorphic, the assignment of "source" depens of  environment, params at
runtime not only at compile time... the value of "soure" can be assigned from
litteral, but also read from file or be the result of a text expression.

sample : if you run a software on mutiple plateform, unix and windows, UV, UD,
D3, ...; to adress OS and third part software, the final syntax is different
but the "main()" can call "source" with no difference, you an createa a new
variation of source() with no change on the main().

sample : send a e-mail : depending of OS, smpt, relaying, it can be 20
differents method/tools to send a mail but the elements of it
(from,to,subjet,body,attachment) are always the same.  With the indirect call,
you can define wich is the "local" method to send a mail and never touch the
main().

two pence.
Manu

Wjhonson <wjhon...@aol.com> a écrit :

I've not encountered this is my career previously, but now I'm seeing a system
written almost entirely with the use of indirect calls in Universe BASIC.

That is
SOURCE = "*SOME.PROGRAM"
CALL @SOURCE(INPUTS)

Is there some advantage to the use of indirect calls that a system would be
written entirely in this fashion?