Of course "blindingly fast" on a 4 MIPS 9955 is what we might now call "quaintly tortoise like" and that's why we still find things like the all indirect subroutine calls in an attempt to squeeze any available drop of performance out of applications.

Wols Lists wrote:
>From my knowledge of Pr1me architecture (which isn't great) this was one
of Pr1me's very strong points - the hardware/software subroutine call
architecture was *extremely* fast.

So much so that, clocktick for clocktick, it is probably STILL several
times faster than the now-ubiquitous x86 architecture. Shame they
haven't caught up :-(

(I'm thinking particularly here of a ring-jump, but I think it was just
blindingly fast regardless - linux goes to great efforts to avoid such
jumps, Pr1mos didn't care...)

Cheers,
Wol