I wrote a decompiler for R83, never marketed it, just used it for my own play
and insight.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gyle Iverson <giver...@srs4uv.com>
To: u2-users <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Sat, Jan 5, 2013 12:29 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] srs4uv.com status [Was: Corrupted object in global catalog]

You are spot on Ian. It was a fun and tedious exercise. And you are right.
The internals of each interpreter and its op codes are quite different.

I wanted to answer the same question of how does one thing turn into
another. And, can I reverse that?

<history>
The first decompiler was for Prime INFORMATION in 1982. There wasn't
documentation available to me per se. However, looking through their
compiled libraries you could glean the names of the op codes. Returning the
statements and functions was straight forward. Recovering the logical
structure of the program was the heavy lift. Way back then, what discussions
I could find on logical structure recovery all said it was impossible. I
discovered a way to take the distinct graph patterns associated with each
compiled structure and reconstruct the original structure. That was a fun
puzzle. Still today, most decompilers only return GOTO-filled source code. I
always insisted on no-GOTOs (unless the original code was a pile of
spaghetti originally) and there was no other way to reconstruct the program.

The UniVerse decompiler came out in 1992. VMark was nice enough to leave a
lot of useful information in some C language header files distributed with
the product. I briefly looked at doing a UniData decompiler and never found
sufficient time to dedicate to cracking that. Lee Leitner had a UniData
decompiler on the market for a while.
</history>