The main reason I like WinRAR is because is offers compression in command-line mode. This is very handy for me in the U2 environment, along with for Windows backups, etc. In addition, I can use its UI to create ".zip" files that are useful on Windows client machines.

Bill
Untitled Page

----- Original Message -----
*From:* 3xk547...@sneakemail.com
*To:* u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
*Date:* 3/28/2013 8:58 AM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] Compressing PDFs
In addition to 7-Zip (the software, not just the compression
algorithm), consider WinRAR. They're both based on the same UnRAR
decompression. They both support multiple platforms, multiple
compression methods, multiple volumes, security, etc.  I hope I don't
start a war by suggesting that anyone spend money for software or
anything, but WinRAR is shareware for $30 and has Windows extensions
for a UI that make it worth it to some people. You don't need to pay
for it, and I'd guess most people do not, but it's a good thing to do,
especially for a company. There is a tiny nag on file opens which is
easy to dismiss. I've been using WinRAR for almost a decade and swear
by it for all compression needs. For some people the choice is just a
matter of personal preference where most other comparisons are
similar. You'll see arguments out there about 128bit AES vs 256, or
how many CPU cores are utilized, or whether you get 80% compression vs
85%. At some point it just comes down to "feel".

I'd recommend that you do not provide your trading partners with
software, but tell them the compression mechanism you use and why, and
then point them to a couple websites from which they can make their
own choices. Otherwise you could get stuck providing support because
YOU told them to use brandX.

As to your local storage, consider delivering files to your trading
partners in a format that's easy for Them to manipulate, but
re-compress/store files in a way that's easy for You to manipulate.
The content is ultimately the same and file transport/unpacking issues
are rare and easy to remedy.

HTH

From: Israel, John R.
There are several issues here that I am dealing with for this
project.
#1 The company that we are sending the PDFs to is Windows based, so
I am limited as to the formats they can accept (zip and 7z being two
of
them).

#2 In my testing, I have found that 7z gives significantly more
compression.  In my test, I took a single PDF that was 17k in size.
made 3 copies of it for a total of 17 x 4 = 68k.  Using a
traditional zip, I
was able to compact these 4 PDFs down into a 33k file (about half).
HOWEVER, after compressing it down with 7z, those same 4 PDFs went
down to only 8K!  That is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

#3 I wrote a program we all use that archives the intended file,
then
transmits the archive to the 2nd party.  That way, if they did not
get it, I
can re-send it from the archive w/o having to try to re-create the
data
(which may have changed).  Also, if there are any issues, I can look
at
the archive file and determine exactly what they got and then
determine if the problem was mine or theirs.
From: Israel, John R.

HPUX, UniData & SB:

After a bunch of work, I have a UNIX directory that has a bunch of
PDFs.

I wish to bundle these PDFs up into a 7zip formatted compressed
file.  I
see that there is a ported version of the Windows version of 7zip
for
UNIX called p7zip.

Has anyone installed p7zip and if so, what else needed to be
installed
with it?  Is it stand-alone or is it dependent on other software
packages
being loaded first?

OR

Does anyone have a simple way for UNIX to run the Windows
command line version of 7zip against my UNIX PDF directory?