Ty,

We have run 2 good sized Solaris boxes and 1 medium one over paired 1Gb
switches for a long time ~ 5-600 users, thousands of files. Bandwidth is not a
problem.  We do run a separate network for SAN access from the servers.  As a
practical matter, this works.  We are upgrading the switches to 10Gb, but we
are by no means saturated.

Solaris supports an "llock" or local lock option on NFS mounts which
circumvents some of the performance issues mentioned in Aaron's message. I
think that there is a similar solution for Linux boxes.

rw,bg,vers=3,proto=tcp,hard,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,llock

This may not apply with your SAN.  But if you can move some stuff over and test
it, it is definitely worth the effort.  Is NFS slower that a local disk?
Likely so, right up until you have a disk failure, have to restore from tape
instead of a snapshot, or fsck 500 Gigs.  Is performance very good anyway? Yes.
If a SAN can handle the average Microsoft product & output, U2's text based
data cannot be all that difficult. ("hello world" in msword is worth 5 groups
in UV.) I apologize for the evangelical bent.

There are doubtlessly architectural solutions other than NFS mounts, and some
may be appropriate to your hardware and applications.  NFS can be quite simple
and surprisingly robust.

-Rick