Here is what I use:

     SUBROUTINE RUNNING_TOTAL(CUR.TOT, AM.PTR, AMT, RESET.DATA)
     * RUNNING_TOTAL Keeps a Running Total for Reports
     * by David A. Green -- 9/12/01
     *
     COMMON /RUNTOT/ RUNTOT.REC(10)
     *
     EQUATE RUNTOT.FLAG TO RUNTOT.REC(1)
     EQUATE RUNTOT.TOTS TO RUNTOT.REC(2)
     EQUATE RUNTOT.LAST TO RUNTOT.REC(3)
     *
     TEST.FLAG = @DATE:@TIME
     *
     IF TEST.FLAG # RUNTOT.FLAG THEN
        RUNTOT.FLAG = TEST.FLAG
        RUNTOT.TOTS = ""
        RUNTOT.LAST = ""
     END
     *
     IF RESET.DATA # RUNTOT.LAST<AM.PTR> THEN
        RUNTOT.LAST<AM.PTR> = RESET.DATA
        RUNTOT.TOTS<AM.PTR> = 0
     END
     *
     RUNTOT.TOTS<AM.PTR> += AMT
     CUR.TOT = RUNTOT.TOTS<AM.PTR>
     *
     RETURN

Your formula for the I-Descriptor is:
SUBR("RUNNING_TOTAL", n, Dict_Name, Reset_Dict_Name)

Where n is a unique number for the Query statement, so you can have more
than one running total per query.
Dict_Name is the Dictionary Name to use for Totalling.
Reset_Dict_Name is the Dictionary Name for 'Zeroing out' the Totals when it
changes values.  If you don't wish to 'Zero out' the totals then use "".
Note: The reset option only works on presorted data!

Technical:
Running Total supports Multi-Values.  For optimal performance use smaller
unique numbers like 1, 2, etc.

David A. Green
(480) 813-1725
DAG Consulting