From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Baakkonen, Rodney A
(Rod) 46K
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 12:56 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] UniData Dynamic File Splitting Question

 We have some very large dynamic files. Some are over 100 gigabytes in size.
Too me it is weird that you have one dat portion and 45 overflow portions of
the file. My 100 gig file has 43 Dat portions and 1 overflow, which is what I
try to maintain. I want as few overflow portions of the file as I can get.

What does GROUP.STAT say about this file?

When you do the guide, it shows how many records fall into 1-512 512-1028
1028-2056 etc. I try and adjust my block size for the file to get close to
80-90% of the records in the file to fit into the block size.

I usually don't use memresize to rebuild my dynamic files. I create a new file
with the configuration I want. We have developed a process called PHANTOM.COPY.
It requires a list of the id's that exist in the current file. Then if I tell
PHANTOM.COPY to run using 10 phantoms, it breaks the list up into 10 pieces and
does simultaneous copies. So it is not much slower than memresize. The
reasoning for this is that memresize creates one overflow portion for every dat
portion. And I don't want my 100 gig file to have 43 dats and 43 overflow
portions. I want 43 dats and one overflow if I can do it. And PHANTOM.COPY
allows me to get that setup. This allows me to figure out what files need
resizing too. If I have more than a couple overflow portions, it is time to
rebuild the file again.

Are you using KEYONLY or KEYDATA for your dynamic files. We have had problems
with KEYDATA when we have a keys that have #''s for separators in the key. So
for these files, I use KEYONLY.

We use all kinds of dynamic files and most are quite large. We are on 7.1
though. So maybe 7.2 has issues. - Rod