Dan,
In addition to the other responses you have received, I suggest the following:
1. Have one master file trigger subroutine (globally catalogued) that calls
subroutines (locally catalogued) tailored to individual files.  This means you
don't have to stop and restart Universe when a new trigger is required or a
change to an existing one.  If the master subroutine changes, you do have to
restart Universe.
2. Use a control record that records the subroutine name and state of the
trigger for each file having a trigger.
3. Use a program to change the state of a trigger, using the control records in
2 above.
4. Make sure all background processes that have a file with a trigger open are
logged out when recompiling the subroutine for that file trigger.
5. Remember that you can't do anything to a file with an active trigger whilst
in the RAID debugger (it will crash).  Rather, if you are testing a file
trigger subroutine, drop the trigger and use a trigger testing program that
calls the subroutine after taking a copy of the record being changed, pausing
whilst you change it in another session, and then resuming, calling the
subroutine.

If you would like samples of any of the software mentioned above, let me know,
and I can send them to you.

Regards,
Ken Ford
Universe Software Developer
t 07 3013 8605 | f 07 3002 8400
e ken.f...@firstmac.com.au | w firstmac.com.au

Note:
This email (inc all attachments) is for the use of the intended recipient(s)
only.
Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this communication.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and then delete all copies of this message from your computer network. If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or
distribute this email without the author's prior permission. If you are the
intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages
from us in future, then please respond to the sender to this effect.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but advise you to carry out your own virus checks on this email and
its attachments. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage caused by
software viruses and do not represent that this transmission is free from
viruses or other defects.
Firstmac Limited (ABN 59 094 145 963) (AFSL 290600)