From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Bill Haskett
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 11:35 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Do you avoid TRIGGERS because of the difficulty using
DEBUG or RAID with them? Was: Universe Triggers

I must say, I use triggers in UD with no problems.  When converting from
D3 to UD I had a hard time getting them to work.  However, with useful
suggestions from several on this list I was able to get them working properly.
They turned out to be a bit more robust than the D3 triggers.  I've been able
to "debug" the trigger several times when problems appeared, but haven't for a
number of years as they work as expected now.

The structure took a while to get my head around, but I simply have two trigger
programs (globally cataloged):

U2.MASTER.TRIGGER.D
U2.MASTER.TRIGGER.U

...which handle all delete and update triggers.  Inside each program a file is
read that actually provides the trigger subroutines to CALL (via a CALL @...).
So, I can insert any subroutine as a trigger in any account.  These programs
are cataloged locally.  I don't remember any problems debugging these
subroutines.

Just a thought.

Bill