This is mostly for you folks who are contractors but I'd be happy to hear
from anyone.  I have a customer, Nashville Metropolitan Government, for whom
I have provided flea market reservation/registration and buiding event
rental software. (UniVerse.)  I am a 1 man shop.  I look both ways before I
cross the street and so far its worked out.  But the issue of continuation
of development and support has come up for a second time; along with it the
nature of my character based software and some reactions to UviVerse as a
product.  This is an email from the assistant director of the Nashville
fairgrounds:

"Subject: ITS Help Selecting New Software
Our Flea Market and Corporate Sales components have been utilizing
proprietary software that is ancient, and without documentation for many
years.  It has not been supported by ITS, and there is only one known person
in the Tennessee area that can serviced this software. With the upgrade to
Windows 7, it will not operate.  Obviously, we need to purchase a package
that will provide the functionality we need and that can be supported by
ITS. I am requesting a meeting, with the appropriate ITS staff at the
earliest possible time; to identify our needs and possible software packages
that can be installed."

He is incorrect in most of his conclusions, but this is his perception.  I
have left behind a number of great systems that are now defunct because
management viewed them as "ancient".  Does anyone else meet this attitude?
My customer defended the system with the following email.

"Ken
Who said our software was ancient?  It is not, it aids in insuring the
revenue stream for both Flea Market and Facility Rental, you are correct
that the software is serviced by one individual since he wrote the program,
his name is Dale Kelley and he has other members on his team that know the
software in the event something happens to him.  As far as the upgrade to
Windows 7 who said that it will not operate?  This is certainly not the
case, the software can be updated to run with minimal effort.  You can
contact Dale Kelley if you like, I have copied him on this e-mail.
Thank you for your time
Deborah"

Deborah's defense included a small lie about the "members of my team"; I'm
it.  This system is written entirely in BASIC; no procs, no scripts.  I
always have the source code on the system; it's theirs to use as they wish.
I would be happy to provide it for review.  My question: is there anyone who
would have any interest in taking over this and another government customer
if I should become defunct or inoperable?  I know there are some great
people in Tennessee, but these guys could be supported from anywhere.

I would also appreciate any advice on products and time required to mouse up
the screens and present non-ancient images.  I intend to arrenge a meeting
with the Assistant Director to attempt to address his concerns and see if I
can sell some services.

Dale