The 'uv' command is basically a small front ender to the 'uvsh' executable, which is really the guts of universe. The uv command does little more (for universe) then to check ulimit settings, increasing them when necessary, then issuing an execve() call to uvsh. If you bypass 'uv' and just use 'uvsh', does the problem still occur?

Your universe configurables seem reasonable, as well as your kernel params, but I do recall an issue whereby the OS would disallow exec's (and /or forks) due to system resource exhaustion, although it has been a while and I cannot recall the details.