Ok. So its not an exec/fork problem. My next suspicion would be having to do with either SHMxxx or SEMxxxx kernel parameters not being sufficient. In the cases where these resources are inadequate it is possible the OS may boot you out.

At 06:38 PM 02/04/2004, you wrote:
Well, it did not take long to get a chance to test trying 'uvsh'. The
problem reared its ugly head again today and we now know that uvsh also does
not work. The command returns to the shell so quickly that whatever the
problem is it must occur near the start of the program. If you happen to
know what the uvsh does first it may help me figure out where the problem
may lie. I would have thought that an error of this sort would have been
recorded in a log file but I have not stumbled across one yet.
Thanks again,
Vance Dailey

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Glenn Herbert
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 10:13 AM
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Subject: Re: UV command failing mystery

The 'uv' command is basically a small front ender to the 'uvsh' executable, which is really the guts of universe. The uv command does little more (for universe) then to check ulimit settings, increasing them when necessary, then issuing an execve() call to uvsh. If you bypass 'uv' and just use 'uvsh', does the problem still occur?

Your universe configurables seem reasonable, as well as your kernel params,
but I do recall an issue whereby the OS would disallow exec's (and /or
forks) due to system resource exhaustion, although it has been a while and
I cannot recall the details.