From: "Karjala Koponen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Would knowing the algorithms allow you to write a program that would
accept parameters about your file, or > even walk the file, to determine
which file type would be best for that file?

Years ago I wrote a FTN program that analyzed PR1ME INFORMATION files and
recommended file types and modulos.  Problem with it was that it required a
reasonably in-depth understanding of the data structures, and they changed
in some releases.

When HASH.HELP became robust enough I quit using my program as I couldn't
justify the development time/effort.  Instead I wrote a front-end which
generated paragraphs consisting primarily of HASH.HELP %filename%
statements.  The paragraphs included COMO statements, and the final
statement ran a program to interpret the output from the HASH.HELP and
execute an appropriate RESIZE command.