I downloaded and use a java-based telnet client that will also do SSH.
It can be found at: http://mud.de/se/jta/, but in searching for this on
Google by entering Java Telnet Application I also found this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jta/ which looks like the sourceforge
entry for the one above
and http://javassh.org/ I don't know what this one is.

JTA has been pretty nice for our applciation, which is a text-based
'green screen' application.

Let me know if you need help with it.

Karl

--