64-bit (say, an AlphaServer/Tru64 Unix platform)
to 32-bit (say, a Wintel platform)???
I think the question should be about a switch in operating systems--that's
of more immediate significance to the application.
There are other 64-bit architectures out there besides Alphas.  Put the OS
of your choice on one of them.  I bet the change in OS will break more
things in the application than the change in hardware word size.  Even a
small change in OS (Tru64 Unix to some other flavor of Unix) will break some
things.
Alpha/Tru64 is owned by HP now; HP would probably love to talk to you about
other HP platform solutions.

   Hugh
   Hugh Pritchard (Tier), 202-546-3066, cell 301-467-1712
   D.C. Ofc of Corporation Counsel, Child Support Enforcement Division
   650 Pennsylvania Ave SE, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20003
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]