----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:39 PM
Subject: Alpha-Micro to D3

Dear All:

One of my clients has a 40 user Alpha Micro native system that's in need of
a migration. I want to migrate to D3/W2K. I've done a few and am comfortable
supporting it remotely as a consultant instead of as an employee. While I
welcome the possibility of going to 'nix U2 or NT U2, I want to focus on
D3/W2K.

Has anyone had any experience converting from Alpha Micro to D3 or UD/UV and
are there any pitfalls regarding incompatible source code. I can expect some
slight differences in syntax but I'm looking to see if there's a major
roadblock. I don't suspect anything beyond PQ proc but IIRC an earlier
conversion from GA to AP-Pro brought with it some missing commands like SWAP
and MAX.

Thanks in advance.
---

D3 does have the SWAP statement, but like several other statements you
need to but a $OPTIONS EXT compiler directive in your program or it
will not compile.  My documentation does not mention a MAX statement.

I wish you luck dealing with Raining Data.  At my earliest convenience I
will kick D3 and Raining Data out the back door and run everything on
UniVerse.  RD has raised their maintenance to 90 USD per seat and have
instituted a 50% charge to get a major release (release 8.0 is due out this
year).
They have mostly stopped enhancing the product and to get anything fixed or
added to the product you must submit a "business requirements statement" to
them convincing them that it is in their business interest to provide the
fix or
function.  That doesn't sound like a company that is very interested in
keeping
D3 around for the long haul.

YMMV
Ron White

---
[ Eckel certifies this E-mail to be virus free. ]