The "Re-compile to GUI" silver bullet just will not come - if for no other reason than
the fact that "GUI" sits in front of an "event model", and your green screen code
doesn't cater for any event other than the enter button !

There are many paths to the "Nirvana" of GUI (obviously I think - KNOW - that Viságe
is the best, but I'll refrain from further direct reference), but they all take time,
effort and money.

This investment can be greatly reduced by your ability to re-use what you already have
in place, most notably that "smart" database design that works so well, and large
chunks of code that do smart things.

However, I doubt that you OR your 4.5 customers have the time or money to commit to
such a project (maybe getting them all to fund development of a single core --> but
....) - they may "think" moving to GP (or equivalent) will save them, but the client
you are loosing may actually provide you with a real, live example of why your
remaining customers should NOT embark on this path.

If it is eye candy you are after, why not give it to them ?

For example, have you considered adding BI/DW facilities using products like MITS or
Viságe.BIT (the latter would also give you the infrastructure to start to develop GUI
screens for other key areas) so that your clients get better visibility of WHERE their
sales are coming from ?

You mentioned email - there are numerous tools available to enable you to email
documents like Invoices, Quotes & Statements, and produce these with images, mixed
font etc (download a free eval of our WordLynx, FaxLynx & MailLynx products if you get
stuck :-)

It is up to YOU to update these people to the latest mv technology - no-one else is
interested in doing this EXCEPT YOU ! Everyone else out there wants to sell them Great
Plains !! so unless YOU start to get them to embrace what is possible, working from
their rich mv heritage, the only thing I CAN tell you with certainty is that next you
will have 3.5 clients, then 2.5, then ...

We all TRIED to ignore Windows & GUI - it didn't go away ! We all waited for the
miracle/no pain GUI conversion tool - no joy !

Just remember, your FAILURE to act IS an action ! and I don't think you will like the
consequences !

(I don't mean to single you out - you are not alone ! and whilst you may think my
comments are harsh, I fear they could be a portent for the future)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage - an Evolution in Software Development

---