I haven't gotten through all of the postings in the GUI thread as yet, but
am working on the question of how to write a GUI that is as good as a "green
screen" from the perspective of folks currently using a green screen
application.  I saw hints at that, but nothing that tackled it from the
standpoint of being able to use any tools on the market today to accomplish
this (no need to retain databasic code, for example).

What could be used to actually replace, completely, the character screens?

Requirements:
0) work with U2 as multiuser databases

1) Be able to use any Windows, new Mac (unix) or Linux client
2) Have graphically attractive & colorful screens, looking enough like
standard GUIs (M$, in particular) that users would understand the use of
icons, etc.
3) Respond to keystrokes by users -- not only to the click of a "submit"
button
4) Require no preparation of the client computers in advance of using the
software, likely directing user to a web page.
5) "type ahead" can be done so that the user is not waiting constantly for
the computer to respond
6) Heads down data entry folks are as happy with this as they were with
their green screens when they first got those and have only minor complaints
if converting now from a green screen, none of substance

What are the options -- who has written or seen such a GUI?  --dawn

Dawn M. Wolthuis
Tincat Group, Inc.
www.tincat-group.com

Take and give some delight today.