If you are just looking to print from One particular printer, there
are also external devices you can hook inline to the printer and the
cable, which will take ASCII codes and translate them to the appropriate
HP codes to produce the bar code.

the 128 barcode from Pick, (David Church's) should be available from
the files section of the list (I forget how). It works great with HP
printers and is easy to implement.

George