> I would whole-heartedly agree with this.  BUT I have never
> seen such an
> animal in action myself.  I think it's mythical.
> Will

It is not mythical, one of the forums I use works exactly like that.
You do have to be set up as a user and "subscribe" to the forums you
want to read.  But after that, emails show up on the forum, and anything
posted to the forum goes out via email.  (It even puts a cute little
"postmark" on the message if you view it on the web page, to show it was
posted via email.)

A quick look says that the forum software is...
O'Reilly WebBoard 4.20.82 (c)1995-2000 Duke Engineering/O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc.
WebBoard is a trademark of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.