Can thunderbird be controlled to the point where a limit on the number of messages downloaded can be imposed? If so, that might help its function. I have over 53,000 messages in my gmail account now so for sure unless I can limit amount of messages downloaded each time thunderbird will not be what I want to use.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016, kendell clark wrote:

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 10:22:35
From: kendell clark <coffeekin...@gmail.com>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com>, Daniel Crone <quirky.wiz...@gmx.com>,
    ubuntu-accessibility@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: introduction

hi
I think the thunderbird problems are thunderbird bugs. At least, if
you're talking about the ridiculous lag when typing messages, that's a
thunderbird thing from what I've been able to find out. There's also a
lag when going through the list of messages if you have over a certain
amount, not exactly sure what that amount is. Gnome will probably run on
that machine, but it might not run well. Mate would be much much better
for a computer with only a gig of ram, but even with mate you'll have to
be careful not to run too many resource intensive apps, like
libreoffice, at once.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Jude DaShiell wrote:
I have vinux5 installed which runs unity and found out thunderbird and
unity don't like each other very much.  I was able to enter my gmail
credentials and get to the inbox using I think it was shift-f10 inside
of thunderbird but haven't got email down for reading yet.  I may have
to install gnome but with only a gig of ram on my athelon X86_64 gnome
will probably crash the computer.  Inside mate to get to a terminal
you want to run mate-terminal since that runs faster than
gnome-terminal. The mate-terminal also works under unity.  Firefox
works pretty well from my limited use of it so far.  The chromium app
isn't accessible for orca at all and isn't worth messing with for now
at least.  Emacs is available and probably very accessible as a work
environment which should help cover any of libreoffice's
shortcomings.  Thunderbird is easily crashed over here, but then again
I'm a touch typist and have little tollerance for keyboard latency
unless I get some kind of audio indication that something I've done is
being worked.  Some clicks from the speaker would help in this respect
but I don't know that any form of Linux offers this feature that can
be enabled yet.
More than that I don't yet know but will find out as I hack through
this system.