I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with all the latest updates. Under either mate or Ubuntu Default orca comes up and works with my braille display in some circumstances but there is no speech. It does not work with even my braille display under firefox. The only oddity I see in syslog or other places is the following line.

Jan 26 09:23:34 Tom-M2800 console-kit-daemon[5024]: (process:7120):
GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

Does anyone on these lists have suggestions?

Tom