** Description changed:
* This is a bug in the supermin package v5.1.14 in Xenial.
* This bug affects supermin versions < v5.1.18 when using a
- kernel that is v4.13-based or later.
+ kernel that is v4.13-based or later.
* This bug was caused by an update to the mainline v4.13 kernel
- which broke supermin due to the way supermin handled symlinks.
+ which broke supermin due to the way supermin handled symlinks.
* The bug results in total loss of functionality in supermin
- and users of supermin such as guestfish, libguestfs-test-tool,
- others. i.e. it is a regression in functionality for managing
- virtual appliances.
+ and users of supermin such as guestfish, libguestfs-test-tool,
+ others. i.e. it is a regression in functionality for managing
+ virtual appliances.
* This bug does not affect Bionic, Artful or Trusty (See Comment #14).
Test Case & Reproduction
* This bug manifests in different ways based on the caller / use case
- but is reliable and consistent in its reproduction.
- See original description and Comment #12, for trivial repro cases.
+ but is reliable and consistent in its reproduction.
+ See original description and Comment #12, for trivial repro cases.
* The fix for the Xenial version includes a backport of 2 upstream
- fixes to the file ext2fs-c.c (the fix for the symlink breakage
- is contained in this file). See comment #13 for details.
+ fixes to the file ext2fs-c.c (the fix for the symlink breakage
+ is contained in this file). See comment #13 for details.
* A separate PPA test package for Xenial is available to test with
- (See comment #13).
+ (See comment #13).
* This fix has been tested successfully on Xenial and shown to fix the
- reported and related breakages as listed in this bug (Comment #12).
+ reported and related breakages as listed in this bug (Comment #12).
* Regression Potential: there might be some bugs in some edge cases
- that have not been tested or some environment that is not typical
- causing some new issue which might affect the creation of the virtual
- appliances and their management/manipulation via tools in the
- libguestfs-tools package (e.g. guestfish).
+ that have not been tested or some environment that is not typical
+ causing some new issue which might affect the creation of the virtual
+ appliances and their management/manipulation via tools in the
+ libguestfs-tools package (e.g. guestfish).
+ The attached debdiff is intended to create a rev of the current Xenial
+ package version supermin_5.1.14-2ubuntu1 to supermin_5.1.14-2ubuntu1.1.
after upgrade to 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu all the virt-* tools
not work anymore
running the libguestfs-test-tool shows that the qemu kernel crashes
[ 0.755354] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
[ 0.756619] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: init Not tainted 4.13.0-26-generic
[ 0.757893] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS
[ 0.759157] Call Trace:
[ 0.759444] dump_stack+0x63/0x8b
[ 0.760847] panic+0xe4/0x23d
[ 0.761184] do_exit+0xae6/0xaf0
[ 0.761547] ? dput+0x34/0x1f0
[ 0.762292] do_group_exit+0x43/0xb0
[ 0.762690] SyS_exit_group+0x14/0x20
[ 0.763333] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1e/0x81
[ 0.764221] RIP: 0033:0x451579
[ 0.764799] RSP: 002b:00007ffda4fe3768 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX:
[ 0.766275] RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000000001415cb3 RCX:
[ 0.767056] RDX: 0000000000000008 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI:
[ 0.768290] RBP: 0000000001415c30 R08: 000000000000003c R09:
[ 0.769451] R10: ffffffffffffffd0 R11: 0000000000000246 R12:
[ 0.770651] R13: 0044b82fa09b5a53 R14: 0000000000000000 R15:
[ 0.772563] Kernel Offset: 0x3cc00000 from 0xffffffff81000000 (relocation
[ 0.774729] Rebooting in 1 seconds..
libguestfs: error: appliance closed the connect
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: linux-image-4.13.0-26-generic 4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-26.29~16.04.2-generic 4.13.13
Uname: Linux 4.13.0-26-generic x86_64
Date: Mon Jan 15 07:03:40 2018
InstallationDate: Installed on 2017-07-14 (184 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 16.04.2 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
libguestfs not work anymore with 4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
ubuntu-bugs mailing list