** Description changed:

+ [ Impact ]
+ 
+ Printing through a credential-protected printer from the system dialog
+ on a GNOME desktop crashes the xdg-desktop-portal-gnome service, and
+ then printing stops working entirely.
+ 
+ [ Test Plan ]
+ 
+ 1. Log in to Ubuntu Desktop
+ 2. Configure a CUPS IPPS printer that advertises 
auth-info-required=username,password.
+ 3. Print a document through the system dialog
+ 4. Verify that the document was printed correctly
+ 5. Verify that you received no crash notification
+ 6. Repeat 3-5 a few more times
+ 
+ [ Where problems could occur ]
+ 
+ The patch removes two erroneous calls to decrease the reference-count of
+ heap-allocated objects. If the changes were wrong, problems would
+ manifest as memory leaks.
+ 
+ [ Original report ]
+ 
  Hello,
  
  I work for a university and we use network printers.
  
  I have installed these printers on several Ubuntu 24.04 systems without
  any issues. However, the same setup no longer works on Ubuntu 26.04.
  
  I am trying to install two shared network printers:
  
  smb://server-name/printer-name
  https://server-name:port/printer-name
  
  I installed system-config-printer (and smbclient) to configure the
  printers.
  
  The printer installation appears to be successful, and printing a test
  page always works. However, when printing actual documents (PDFs from
  Okular, files from GNOME Text Editor, web pages from Firefox, etc.),
  only the first one or two print jobs are processed successfully. After
  that, printing stops working entirely.
  
  Another thing I noticed is that I am never prompted for authentication
  credentials. On Ubuntu 24.04, a credentials dialog would always appear
  when needed.
  
  I also receive a problem notification mentioning the xdg-desktop-portal-
  gnome module.
  
  Do you have any idea what might be causing this issue?
  
  I have reproduced the problem on two different laptops with fresh Ubuntu
  26.04 installations fully updated to the latest packages.
  
  I have attached the /var/crash file for reference.
  
  If you need any additional information or would like me to perform
  further tests, I would be happy to help.
  
  Kind regards,
  
  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 26.04
  Package: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome 50.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 7.0.0-34.34-generic 7.0.14
  Uname: Linux 7.0.0-34-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.34.1-0ubuntu0.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Mon Sep 28 13:57:05 2026
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2026-09-28 (0 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 26.04.1 LTS "Resolute Raccoon" - Release amd64 
(20260826)
  ProcEnviron:
-  LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
-  PATH=(custom, no user)
-  SHELL=/bin/bash
-  TERM=xterm-256color
-  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
+  LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
+  PATH=(custom, no user)
+  SHELL=/bin/bash
+  TERM=xterm-256color
+  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  SourcePackage: xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2168749

Title:
  Unable to print on network printers with credentials on Ubuntu 26.04
  LTS

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gtk/+bug/2168749/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to