What a strange time indeed, I won't argue about that :)

To reassure you a bit, I was not blindly dumping an AI report here. I
did try a build with just the debian/rules changes, but without the
patch. It seems to me that it worked:
https://launchpad.net/~antoinelassagne/+archive/ubuntu/debian/+build/33799687/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-
stonking-amd64v3.embree_4.4.1+dfsg-3~ppa1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Now, you seem more qualified than me about this problem, so if you think
the patch is required, I'll simply keep it.

----------------
----------------
For posterity, here is why AI answered to your latest response:

```
The missing-symbol mechanism you describe is valid when the baseline 
compilation has __AVX__ defined and SSE targets enabled. However:
- -flto does not itself define __AVX__.
- LTO does not re-evaluate the source’s preprocessor guards.
- Stripping -march=x86-64-v3 leaves the compiler’s configured v3 default active.
- Appending -march=x86-64 overrides that default, allowing the original 
baseline BVH4 instantiation.

I just checked the exact guard with both SSE target macros defined:
Compilation flags
-march=x86-64 -msse2            Instantiate BVH4
-march=x86-64 -msse2 -flto      Instantiate BVH4
-march=x86-64-v3 -msse2 -flto   Skip BVH4

The Launchpad discussion also matters: the explicit baseline override
was introduced in comment #11, after the template patches and the
earlier PPA failures. Those earlier builds therefore do not isolate
whether the template patch remains necessary with the final flags.

My recommendation remains: run one amd64v3 PPA build with the final
debian/rules changes and without the template patch. That is the
decisive missing test.

Keeping Debian and Ubuntu aligned is a reasonable maintenance consideration, 
but “needed for LTO and future toolchains” is not supported by this evidence. 
Conversely, my duplicate-symbol finding is a reason to prefer the smaller 
fix—not proof that the currently shipped combination crashes
```

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2161642

Title:
  4.4.1+dfsg-2 FTBFS in stonking proposed on amd64v3

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/embree/+bug/2161642/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to