On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:13:39PM +0300, Amr Ibrahim wrote:
I suggest dropping USC in future Ubuntu releases and adopt GNOME Software.

I personally think this is a bad idea. I have extensively tested and tried to like Gnome Software on Fedora and openSUSE, but it was pretty awful in my opinion. You can't browse apps while another app is installing. And some apps just simply don't appear in search results, even if they are available in category listings. Search results in general are really bad. And I don't like how it refuses to show apps that don't have AppStream data. At the very least it could fallback to the package name and short description like what Synaptic shows if AppStream data isn't available, instead of just ignoring the software altogether.

The Ubuntu Software Center is fundamentally a great idea. It just needs some bug fixes (for Pete's sake somebody please do something about https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/msttcorefonts/+bug/1437764 !!!!) and a little bit of TLC. All of the core functionality is there, and it is probably the #1 contributing factor to making Ubuntu so popular thus far.