Hmm...  this ended up in sounder; should be in ubuntu-devel-discuss too.

CK

On Nov 28, 2007 4:49 AM, Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We are always looking for more ways to reduce CD size so that we can fit
> more things on the CD [...] There are various other targets of opportunity
> [...] that we'll be looking into as well.

OK, at the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I note the suggestion on
http://lost-midnight.blogspot.com/2007/12/remove-mono-dependancy-from-ubuntu.html

---
There has been a wide range of discussion on the subject of Mono and
its inclusion in Ubuntu by default. Some people believe that Mono may
infringe on Microsoft patents while others believe that it is useful
to include. Personally, I have no idea about whether Mono does
infringe on Microsoft patents, but I see other reasons why Ubuntu
should remove it.

Mono by default takes 48MB of space on the CD. The ISO download is
690+ MB. Therefore, it is taking up valuable space that could be used
for a whole host of other things. Also, for that 48MB, there are just
two applications which use Mono. These are F-spot (photo manager) and
Tomboy (note application). Ubuntu also includes two other programs
which do a similar job, gThumb (photo manager) and GNOME sticky notes.

In my opinion, these two applications function well enough to warrant
the removal of Mono dependent programs.
---

You might want to fact-check the disk space claim, but if that's the
case, its a good point totally irrespective of the 'Java Trap'
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html) type scenarios I've
read (http://www.gnome.org/~seth/blog/mono) about Mono.

Sincerely,
Conrad Knauer