On Dec 13, 2007 1:58 AM, Martin Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > F-Spot and gThumb are very similar in capabilities on local images.
> > Though F-Spot's interface is a little cleaner.  But the big difference
> > comes in Web2.0 integration.  GThumb has none, while F-Spot integrates
> > with Flickr, Picasa, etc.  Hands down, this is what end users expect,
> > and it is gThumbs that needs to be eliminated.
>
> Users who want any of these applications can get them from the
> repositories; just because you like the applications doesn't make them
> good for inclusion by default. The argument seems to be that we should
> sacrifice 60MB of CD space for a handful of extra features. The space
> instead could be used to have many more user friendly features than
> just nice sticky notes and Flicker intergration.

This is one of the reason why Linux in general only appeal to geeks,
and why Windows is still the primary OS of choice for non-geeks.
Tomboy and F-Spot are two most useful and innovative Linux applications
in the desktop, removing them will give non-geeks no reason to switch
to Linux.

This move is headed in a backward direction, and will not provide any solution
to solve bug #1, piracy, poor software quality and many other proprietary-model
related problems.

Mono, is a direct invitation for Microsoft Windows developers to jump in
the Linux development scene, to provide more innovations, solutions
and man-power.

--
Computer Science Honours and Scholar Student
Cisco Certified Network Associate

GTK+, C, Perl, Python, Ruby, XML, XMLHTTPRequest, XHTML, JavaScript,
POSIX Bash (Dash)