On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Moz <list...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Onkar,
>
> Wow, you are surely peeved at the method I use, which must mean that it is
> an incorrect way of doing it. I surely do not know why it is incorrect as I
> am not an experienced user or a programmer, I am just a simple villager
> living in a remote village running my computer on solar power.
>
> I have the following three lines in my /etc/rc.local, at the bottom of
> the file:
>

> sudo -S modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1010 <
> /path/to/filewithuserpassword
>

> </snip>
>
> Where did you learn about this *genius* way to load modules on
> startup? And you are writing down your password in a file for that?
>

> And yes, I am writing down my password in a file for that, which means it
> can be compromised. But then a lot us 'end-users' are not all that security
> conscious and share our machines with a lot of local people. What if someone
> hacks into this machine? Well, I do take the risk.

I initially thought you read the instructions on some public forum,
hence such reaction. I didn't mean to *slap* anyone and I apologize if
the tone of my reply that way.

Few more points.
1. All the command in /etc/rc.local are run as root user at the
startup. So you don't need to add sudo to any command. I can
understand that this came from your less knowledge about linux system.
I hope you will keep this tip in mind next time.
2. Even though a normal user is ignorant about security, there is no
reason why one should remain in that state. In my opinion security is
a necessary not luxury. Hence I told you the correct way.

> If you want to load a module on startup, simply add it to
> /etc/modules. If you want the module to be added with specific options
> then create a file /etc/modprobe.d/modulename and add options to that
> file.
>

> Thanks for this Onkar, but I do not know enough to follow your advice. So I
> add usbserial to /etc/modules? And create a file /etc/modprobe.d/usbserial
> with the vendor and product options as above?

Yes, you understood it correctly. You can read other files in
/etc/modprobe.d to see how options are actually written.

Onkar