On 17.06.2010 14:17, Ralph Janke wrote:
> Furthermore, does that also mean that people that work primarily
> on Gnome packages will have the same of similar restrictions?

There are no restrictions.

I never used Qt/KDE apps myself much, but I talked to a number of Qt/KDE
people and sponsored quite a number of uploads in the last 5.5 years. It
never mattered much to me, which part of somebody of Ubuntu somebody
they worked in as long as they wanted to improve Ubuntu and did a good
job. That I might know a bit more about some part of Ubuntu than another
didn't stop me from doing that.

> This discussion shows exactly why people are turned off. It is not
> about enhancing the abilities of talents in conjunction with optimizing
> QA, it sound rather like privilege, exclusivity and control.

I don't think that general statements like that are helpful when trying
to improve the situation, nor do I personally think that it reflects
what's happening.

While each perception forms a bit of reality, I feel it's more important
to start having a conversation about what we can actually directly
improve. We're a bunch of very clever and creative people, so I'm quite
certain we can come up with something.

I think it's helpful to distinguish between the following different cases:

 - a process that could be improved to be more inviting or
   straight-forward to people from various groups
 - best-practices that are modified to accommodate certain
   cases better
 - help facilitate a discussion between two guys who might have
   misunderstood each other and who want to straighten things
   out
 - <your idea here>

In any case it's helpful to always stay specific. Big and broad rhetoric
immediately takes away all opportunities to take something specific and
make it better.

Have a great day,
 Daniel